Celebrate Pi Day with these Healthy Pies!
Every year on March 14th we celebrate Pi Day! Pi is the ratio used to compute the circumference, area, and volume of circles, which works out to approximately 3.14. While “pie” and “pi” are spelled differently, they sound the same – so eating pie on Pi day is well loved tradition. Also since pies are typically round their shape acknowledges the mathematical importance of pi making it the perfect way to celebrate this holiday!
Math lovers and students everywhere will celebrate Pi Day by eating various pi-themed foods. Some of our favorites are pizza pies, pot-pies, or just regular dessert pies! Another great way to celebrate Pi Day is to have a Pie-swap party with friends or coworkers.
At QOL we value your health and your happiness – this is why we would like to provide you with some healthy Pi themed recipes so you can enjoy your Pi Day feast without sacrificing your health!
We will start with the good stuff – here are some delicious and healthy dessert pie recipes:
- Whole Wheat Apple Pie – want an apple pie without the excessive sugar? This apple pie has no added sugar and a whole wheat crust. This is a sneaky way to indulge in a treat while also getting important nutrients!
- Ultimate Healthy Pumpkin Pie – this healthy recipe substitutes heavy cream and sugar with non-fat Greek yogurt and stevia. This reduces the fat and sugar content. Also pumpkin offers up a healthy dose of vitamin A.
- Blueberry Pie with a Heart-healthy Crust – this pie is butter-free and contains heart healthy blueberries! Blueberries are rich in vitamins K and C – and you may not know that they can help protect the body from free radicals.
- Chocolate Pudding Pie – do you want to indulge in a decadent chocolate pie without all the calories? Try this recipe! The coconut milk adds healthy fat, while Dutch cocoa powder offers an antioxidant boost! P.S. This pie is less than 200 calories per slice, so you can whip this up without blowing your diet.
- Vegan Cherry Pie – just because you follow a vegan diet doesn’t mean you can’t participate in Pi day festivities! Here is a non-dairy, delicious and tangy cherry pie recipe.
If you are not a big fan of dessert pies – here are some other healthy Pi themed recipes you can include in your Pi day celebration:
- Healthy Cauliflower Pizza Pie – this healthy pizza uses cauliflower in the crust and contains nutrient dense vegetables as a topping! Cauliflower provides high levels of vitamins and minerals so your body will thank you for making this recipe.
- Lightened Up Chicken Pot Pie – this pot pie substitutes butter and cream with almond milk and chicken broth. You will not even notice that you are making a health conscious choice when you bite into the flaky whole grain crust!
- Healthy Shepherd’s Pie – traditional shepherd’s pie has a heavy potato topping – although it is delicious it adds a heavy dose of carbs and calories. This recipe swaps potatoes with cauliflower – to help cut the calories!
We hope you get a chance to make at least one of these healthy pies this Pi Day - extra points to you if you make multiple and have a full blown healthy Pi feast!