Healthy Summer Recipes For a Better Quality of Life
The weather is warming up, and it’s time to learn some summer recipes to celebrate. Summer brings cookouts, bonfires, and time spent with family and friends. If you plan to host a lot of events this summer (or attend them and bring a dish to share), these recipes are sure to please the guests.
Tomato and Burrata Salad
Burrata cheese is an Italian specialty that contains cream and mozzarella. This cheese has a soft texture, making it the perfect addition to any salad dish. This tomato and burrata salad is a savory and sweet platter that will refresh you and your guests.
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 or 2 4-ounce balls of Burrata cheese
- 1 peach, sliced
- 1/2 cup watermelon
- 1/2 cup cantaloupe
- 1/2 cup berries
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
If you want to add more summer fruits into the salad mixture, feel free. The more summery flavors, the better. Keep about one handful of the fresh basil leaves and thyme sprigs on hand for this recipe.
This summer salad recipe is very easy to put together. There is no cook time, and preparation only takes about 5 minutes.
Here are the simple steps to making the tomato and burrata salad:
- Place the burrata cheese on a plate
- Place your tomato and summer fruits around the cheese in a circle
- Top the platter with basil and thyme
- Drizzle the platter with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt to taste
You can chill this dish in the fridge or serve it immediately. We recommend serving it soon after it is made to keep the fresh taste of the fruits and cheese. With these easy steps, you can make a refreshing, sweet, savory summer salad!
Layered Raspberry and Orange Smoothie
This summer smoothie is packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. If you crave a sweet, refreshing smoothie on hot summer days, this recipe is for you. The prep time is around 5 minutes, and it looks picture-perfect once it’s done. Here is what you’ll need for the layered raspberry and orange smoothie.
For this smoothie, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of frozen raspberries
- ¾ cup of milk
- 2 peeled oranges
- ⅓ cup of vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 8 ice cubes
If you want a thicker smoothie consistency, add more ice. For a thinner juice-like texture, use less ice. The yogurt will make the smoothie creamy after blending it.
To make the raspberry layer of the smoothie, follow these steps:
- Add the raspberries and milk to a blender
- Freeze this layer for about 20 minutes before adding it to the smoothie
For the orange layer, follow these steps:
- Add the rest of the smoothie ingredients to a blender and blend until it’s smooth
- Add the orange layer on top of the raspberry layer once it’s done freezing
That’s all you have to do to enjoy this healthy summer smoothie! If you prefer to skip the layering steps, you can add all of the ingredients together at once. The layers make the drink fun and aesthetically pleasing, but they are not necessary.
Teriyaki Salmon Bowl
For all of the seafood lovers out there, this dish is for you. The Teriyaki Salmon Bowl is a light, satisfying lunch or dinner that fills your tastebuds with flavor. Notes of teriyaki combine with the distinct taste of salmon for the perfect seafood bowl. Here’s what you will need for this recipe.
For the teriyaki salmon bowl, you will need the following ingredients:
- 8-12 ounces of salmon cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons of teriyaki marinade
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2.25 cups of edamame
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 1 cucumber, sliced vertically
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Pickled ginger to taste (optional)
- Poke slaw kit (optional)
You can find these ingredients at your local grocery store. For added Asian flavors, use a poke slaw kit and serve with pickled ginger. These ingredients are optional, but they will really bring out the flavors in this bowl.
To make the teriyaki salmon bowl, follow these steps:
- Add the salmon and teriyaki marinade into a bowl. Refrigerate the mixture for about 15 minutes
- Cook the edamame in boiling water according to the instructions
- Peel the edamame and place it into a bowl
- Add olive oil to a frying pan on medium heat
- Cook the marinated salmon until it’s golden brown on both sides of every piece
- Cook the brown rice. You can use microwaveable rice for convenience
- Combine the brown rice and poke slaw kit in a bowl
- Add the salmon and all other ingredients into portioned bowls
Try to keep an equal amount of all ingredients in each bowl for optimal flavors.
You can drizzle the dressing from a poke slaw kit over the finished portions if you’d like. Pickled ginger will add more complex flavors to this meal. You can refrigerate these bowls until they’re ready to serve, or you can serve them immediately.
Healthy Eating Habits During the Summer
If you want to follow a healthy diet during the summer, it doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite foods. These dishes contain sweet, savory, salty, and refreshing flavors that are sure to keep you satiated after eating them. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring.
Make sure you stay hydrated in the summer heat. It’s a good idea to keep a large water bottle on hand at all times. Eating fruits will help you keep more water in your body as well.
This summer will be full of laughter, fun, and quality time with your loved ones. Bring these dishes to any gathering or enjoy them by yourself at home to enhance your healthy summer eating.