The Sleep Guide: Fall Asleep Faster, Stay Asleep Until Morning
Having a hard time falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night? You’re not alone. Most adults suffer from some form of sleep disorder. As it turns out, if you’re not getting enough rest it could be seriously messing with your health. Research has shown sleep deprivation can cause:
- Increased Appetite
- Weight gain
- A higher risk of Diabetes
- Weakened immune system
Here are some tips that we hope will help you to get the rest you need:
- Disconnect - Turn off your electronics and put them away! Yes this means phones, tablets, computers, and the television. Put your electronics somewhere out of sight; make a box in your closet to put your devices in every evening. This way you will not be tempted to use them. Remember - out of sight, out of mind!
Create a relaxing environment – If your room is cluttered with work, unread books, and dirty laundry, it will be a constant reminder of everything you have to do. Take 15 minutes each day to remove the clutter and make your room a stress free zone.
- Create a sleep schedule – Go to sleep and wake up at the same times every day. Our bodies like to sleep on a regimented routine.
- Stimulus control - People tend to do stimulating things in bed that have nothing to do with sleep, like reading and watching TV. Try adopting a "bed = sleep" mantra.
- Things to avoid - Alcohol, caffeine, sugar-laden snacks, and spicy foods should be avoided in the evening. Caffeinated drinks and sugary snacks can keep you too wired to fall asleep at bedtime. Although alcohol may help you fall asleep, you will probably experience fragmented sleep, and find yourself wide-awake within a few hours.
- Sleep position - Pillows can be a great sleep aid, Match your pillows to your sleep position. For example, if you like to sleep on your back, use a pillow to support your knees. Keeping your knees supported and slightly bent helps take stress off your lower back.
- Try a supplement with advanced technology - You have probably heard of Melatonin, which is a well-known natural sleep remedy. Typical melatonin supplements leave the body rapidly, so they may help you fall asleep but they will leave the body too quickly to help you to stay asleep. Quality Of Life has just released a new supplement, Melatonin-SR, which uses unique technology to provide you with an initial burst of melatonin to help you fall asleep and continual release of melatonin throughout the night so you will stay asleep until dawn.*
Do you have a helpful sleeping tip that you don’t see on this list? Let us know what works best for you by commenting on our Facebook page!