10 Surprising Facts About Digestive Health
Digestion. It’s not the most comfortable topic to discuss but it sure is an important one. Your digestive system has two main jobs – to convert food into the nutrients your body needs, and to get rid of body waste. But there’s much more that goes on behind the scenes of your digestive system. Check out these interesting facts about your digestive system:
- The small intestine is about 22-23 feet long while the large intestine is only about 5 feet long.
- The second part of your small intestine is called the jejunum.
- Enzymes in your digestive system are what separates food into the different nutrients that your body needs.
- You know those laundry detergents you hear advertised that have enzymes to remove stains? Some of those enzymes are the same as those found in your digestive system.
- The gut-brain axis is the close bond that exists between the digestive system and your brain. Emotions (including stress) and brain disorders affect how your body digests food.
- The stomach has the ability to stretch and hold up to 4 pounds of food at one time.
- Aerobic exercise is the best type of exercise to keep your digestive tract in shape.
- Stomach growling is called borborygmic and happens all the time, but it is just louder when your stomach is empty because there is no food to muffle it.
- Your body can move your food through the digestive system even while you are standing on your head. It is not connected to gravity because it works with muscles.
- Hiccups can be caused by a change in temperature that happens suddenly.
It is important to know what your digestion does to your body and mind. Educating yourself on digestive health is the first step to having a healthy gut!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.