Avoid the “What to Do’s?” this Winter with these 8 Enjoyable Activities
It’s important to spend time with those who are important to you during the holiday season. Even though you may be overwhelmed with gift shopping or holiday party planning, try to set aside time to slow down and enjoy the most wonderful time of the year!
We took a poll from our team here at Quality of Life to find what activities are enjoyed most this time of year and came up with quite the list of the merriest indoor and outdoor activities.
For many of us, the holiday season is a time to cuddle up inside to avoid the wintry weather. There are plenty of amusing ways to do this so that you can stay warm while also avoiding the dreaded cabin fever. Check out some of our QOL family’s treasured ways to hang out inside by the fire with their friends and family:
- Bake holiday goodies. Baking is a tradition many families enjoy during the holiday season, so make it extra special this year by assigning titles to everyone involved, such as “Eddie the Egg Smasher” or “The Flour Queen” for mom. That way everyone takes part in all the recipes you prepare.
- Cozy up with some hot cocoa. Snuggle up in your flannel pjs and comfy slippers by the fireplace, or if you don’t have a fireplace hang up holiday lights in the room and turn off all the other lighting. Turn on holiday music low or throw on a holiday classic movie to enhance the chill holiday atmosphere. All that’s left is a cup of hot cocoa in your hand! Your QOL health guru had a lot of fun trying out these healthy hot cocoa recipes. Give one (or more) a try this season.
- Host family game night. Why not bring a little friendly competition into your home by playing each of your family members’ favorite board or card games? Be sure to assign someone with keeping score so the winner could decide which holiday movie to watch when you enjoy the hot cocoa together!
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Although not in the comfort of your own home, this is a great way to help out your local community while staying inside. Whether it be packing meals to send to shelters at your local food bank or serving food to the homeless, there are many organizations who could use your help this holiday season. It will feel even better knowing that you were able share your time not only with your friends and family but with those who need an extra hand.
Although the days are getting cooler and cooler for many of us in the US, that doesn’t mean we have to lock ourselves inside this season! There are plenty of ways to enjoy the great outdoors, despite the cold weather. Consider some of our QOL family’s favorite ways to spend time out in the crisp winter air with those closest to them:
- Hit the slopes. Whether it’s skiing, sledding, snowboarding, or snowtubing, bundle up and visit the nearest slopes to get your adrenaline rush going down the mountain.
- Make snow art. No matter your age - give snow angels, snowman making, or igloo creations a try! You may be surprised by how much fun it is to spark your creativity out in the snow – who knows maybe a snowball fight will ensue between you and your family or friends.
- Lace up your skates. Although not everyone can visit Rockefeller Center this holiday season, many communities set up their own outdoor ice rinks for locals to enjoy. Be sure to check ahead for open skate hours and bring your group out on the ice!
- Sing loud for all to hear. After spending some time inside baking cookies, share them with your neighbors by caroling door to door. After all it is the best way to spread holiday cheer!
Whether you spend time inside or outside this holiday season, be sure to set aside some time in your busy schedule to enjoy activities with those closest to you. As our QOL Family likes to say this time of year – the things that matter most in life aren’t actually things…it’s really the people!