5 Healthy Ways to Celebrate Best Friends Day!
Happy Best Friends Day! June 8th is celebrated nationally as Best Friends Day. This is a day to honor that one special person that you call your best friend! At QOL we believe that friendship is one of the most valuable things we can have. Today is a great time to show your best friend how much you appreciate and cherish their friendship. Having healthy friendships is one of the most important things you can do for your health – that is why we would like to share with you some healthy and fun ways to celebrate best friends day with your bestie!
Bake some healthy treats together - look online for some new healthy recipes – or try some of our favorites:
- Fudgy Zucchini Brownies – these brownies are extremely rich & fudgy but will only cost you 63 calories per brownie! They also include zucchini which is packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Cookie Dough “Peanut Butter” Cups – you may be wondering how chocolate chip cookie dough peanut butter cups could ever be healthy… but this recipe features oat flour and dark chocolate which is high in antioxidants.
- Unicorn Cheesecake Bars – these sweet & creamy cheesecake bars are not only delicious, but they are also extremely Instagram-worthy! Whip these up with your bestie and then share pics for your family and friends!
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies – these whoopie pies contain carrots – so you don’t have to feel guilty about having more than one!
Go for a hike or bike ride – get moving with your bestie! Put on some workout gear and go for a hike or bike ride together. One way to amp this up – try coordinating outfits and taking fun pics of your adventure! You can use the pictures later to create a best friend photo album.
Hit up your local farmers market – farmers markets are fun and a great place to find locally grown fruits and veggies! Walk around and peruse the produce and goodies offered. One thing that makes farmers markets so great is that there are always different offerings based off seasonality – try to make a routine with your bestie to go to your local farmers market together once a month. Most farmers markets also have seating and some have live music – so sit down and make a day out of it! Another fun way to enjoy a farmers market is to find a recipe online before you go and buy all the ingredients you will need – after the market you can prepare the meal together! Here are some easy farmer’s market recipes that we love:
- Spaghetti with Tomatoes and Mozzarella – farmers markets offer a wide variety of tomatoes so mix up this recipe by trying a blend of different types of tomatoes!
- Potato, Squash & Goat Cheese Gratin – this is an easy, rustic recipe is a great vegetarian option
- Roasted Asparagus with Egg and Tomato – we like this recipe because it is perfect for summer - Light and fresh!
- Easy Summer Salad – with 28 grams of protein you can’t go wrong with this salad!
Sign up for an athletic event – this could be a charity walk or a marathon! Committing to a 5k, 10k, or marathon is a healthy way to spend more time with your best friend. One way to amp this up - get on a training schedule and hold each other accountable. This will be a bonding experience that will bring you and your best friend even closer!
Volunteer together – you can volunteer at a hospital, visit a senior center, or animal shelter! Another great option could be organizing a yard sale for charity. You and your bestie can research different charities over lunch or coffee and find one that you both truly feel passionate about!
Share this blog with your bestie and pick one of these activities to do or make it your mission to do all five! Either way if you are spending time with your best friend you will be having fun. Having good friendships offer health benefits, such as increased feelings of belonging, purpose, happiness, reduced levels of stress, improved self-worth, and confidence so taking time to appreciate your best friend is actually crucial to your health!