8 Healthy Pie Recipes!
Pies are a classic American dessert!
These desserts that consist of a pastry dough casing, filled with various sweet or savory ingredients, have woven their way into American food culture. Becoming a symbol of home, tradition, and abundance.
Originally settlers had a practical reason for making pies. They used less flour than bread and could be baked cheaply and easily. This sustainable food source could be rationed easily. Once pioneers claimed land, their pies began to reflect the regional differences of where they settled. Northern states favored pumpkin pies and pies sweetened with maple syrup. In Maine, blueberry crops were abundant, so blueberry pie became the official dessert of that state.
In the south, "Chess pie" was prevalent - this is a silky pie with a creamy filling of sugar, cream or buttermilk, egg, and sometimes bourbon. The Pennsylvania Dutch brought "shoofly" pies, which included savory meats. Florida utilized it's citrus to create key lime pies. Settlers in the Midwest favored cheese and cream pies. French immigrants in New Orleans created the pecan pie. Massachusetts invented the beloved Boston Cream Pie, which is more of a hybrid between a pie and a cake.
During the mid-1800's the pie craze cooled off due to concerns for diet and nutrition. Luckily, we can now create healthy pie recipes that are low in calories, fat, and sugar! We can also pack protein and micronutrients into our pies, making them extremely healthy!
Here are some healthy pie recipes that you don't need to save for a special occasion:
- Healthy cherry pie oatmeal crumble - with a sweet cherry filling, and, an irresistible buttery oatmeal crumble, this homemade cherry pie is actually good for you!
- Lemon Meringue Pie - the beloved classic lemon meringue pie gets a low carb, grain-free makeover. The lemon filling is both tart and sweet, and the meringue is crisp on the outside, tender in the middle.
- Spinach tomato pie - this unique pie features hash browns, spinach, and tomatoes—the perfect addition to any brunch menu.
- Healthy pumpkin pie - this healthy pumpkin pie recipe has less than 150 calories per slice.
- Healthy apple pie - a healthier apple pie recipe with a whole wheat crust and loads of cinnamon-spiced apples.
- Chocolate avocado banana pie - this gluten free dairy free Chocolate Avocado Silk Pie is made from bananas and a gluten-free cookie crust. It has a sinfully creamy texture but is much healthier than a regular pie. Chocolate and avocado are a perfect match in this healthier chocolate silk pie!
- Cookie dough pie: This is an homage to all the dreamers out there who've wanted to eat a big slab of cookie dough and call it a meal.
- Paleo coconut cream pie: this cream pie is delicious but also healthy and light. It contains only raw, unprocessed, and organic ingredients.