Happy Vitamin C Day!
Thank goodness for Vitamin C Day coming around every year to remind us that we should be intaking our daily dose of vitamin C so we can stay healthy!
We all hear about how great vitamin C, but did you know it does a lot more than simply helping you recover when you’re not feeling well?
Take advantage of Vitamin C Day by immersing yourself in Vitamin C knowledge so you can learn to help boost your immune system!
How did “Vitamin C Day” come around?
Vitamin C has been around for a long, long time. Many cultures all around the world have taken advantage of its wide-ranging benefits by consuming foods high in vitamin C.
Back in the 19th century, a Scottish surgeon named James Lind described a disease scurvy that occurs from a lack of Vitamin C and people began to understand just how much this substance can do for our health.
Today it is uncommon for people to be affected by scurvy since Vitamin C is a big hit - meaning it is considered one of the most important nutrients that can and should be provided in our lives.
What is the Official Way of Celebrating “Vitamin C Day”?
How do you celebrate Vitamin C Day?
Well first step is by staying healthy and trust us, Vitamin C is the right one for the job!
It’s a very important factor to staying healthy and for your general health to be top notch, but regrettably not a lot of people have time to watch their daily intake of Vitamin C.
Recently, frozen foods, microwavable dinners, and fast foods have increased in popularity. Another reason this has increased is due to the fact that people work longer hours and don’t have the time/energy to take care of themselves with a nice well balanced meal.
Thankfully we have a couple of new ideas for how you can get Vitamin C no matter how hectic your life can get!
Here are some great ways to celebrate Vitamin C Day and ensure you are getting the right amount in your diet:
1. Raw Veggies
A lot of people automatically think of oranges when they think of Vitamin C, but there are a couple of raw veggies that most people would never think have Vitamin C. The reason you should eat these vegetables raw is because you receive the full benefits of Vitamin C. Some of these fun raw veggies include:
- Red peppers – cut them up into slices, put them into a bag or tupperware and eat them as a snack throughout the day.
- Broccoli – good to cut from the full head and make into a snack as well!
- Kale –make a salad with lots of fun other veggies or just a little bit of dressing to make it more interesting.
- Spinach – add spinach to your sandwich instead of iceberg lettuce!
- Brussels sprouts – shred them and make a salad.
- Sweet potatoes – Cut them into thin slices and have them as a snack.
So you remember how we mentioned that you receive the full benefits when your veggies are raw? Well you should know that cooking reduces your vegetables’ vitamin C content, especially boiling. Make sure you dodge soaking vegetables, too, because the vitamin dissolves in water. If you wash your vegetables or fruits, dry them and store them in an airtight container. Eat them within a few days to reap the full benefits of the vitamin C.
3. Get those fruits in!
Citrus and fruits are some of the most commonly ingested sources of vitamin C. Citrus boasts significant milligrams of the vitamin which can kick-start your day. If you eat a cup of grapefruit with your breakfast, you’ll already have your full daily value. Fruits and vegetables are often the best sources of pure vitamin C. Some fruits that are good sources of vitamin C include:
4. Fresh Juice is the Best Juice
Try to buy fresh juice when you go to your local supermarket and avoid getting pre-mixed ones. Why? Because you will acquire more vitamin C from fresh juice since the pasteurization process reduces the vitamin C content in processed juice. But if you do decide to choose the carton juices found in refrigerated sections, take the extra, extra pulp ones. That way even though it might not be fresh, the pulp increases the nutrient content!
5. Buy the right supplement!
If you want to turn up your immune system you can increase your vitamin C intake by consuming supplements. Luckily, Quality of Life offers the best of the best and it is called Advasorb® Vitamin C!
Combining Fast-C™, a unique, rapidly absorbed, and better retained form of vitamin C with N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), this potent formula delivers:
- Antioxidant Protection — Vitamin C and NAC are both antioxidants that neutralize harmful free radicals.*
- Detoxification Support — Animal and human studies have demonstrated that both vitamin C and NAC help the body detoxify a range of pollutants, including heavy metals, automobile exhaust, tobacco smoke, industrial chemicals, and pesticides.*
- Immune Support — Human clinical trials have shown that daily intake of vitamin C during the cold-weather season can promote immune response.* A placebo-controlled study also found that people who took NAC in the winter maintained their well-being.*
Why Fast-C? It delivers 54% more vitamin C into the tissues in the first 2 hours vs. the leading premium brand. It's buffered — so no need to worry about upset stomach or heartburn.
Now go out there and take advantage of Vitamin C Day! Your body will thank you for these simple immune boosting health benefits!