Have You Thanked a Doctor Today?
In these recent unprecedented times, the lifesaving work of doctors (and, of course, nurses and other medical personnel) is more important than ever.
Today is National Doctor’s Day, so let’s all take some time to show our appreciation to healthcare professionals.
Unlike some of our sillier holidays like National Donut Day, National Doctors’ Day is an official U.S. holiday, signed into legislation by President Bush in 1990. Americans aren’t the only ones who celebrate this special day. Here are the other countries who also set aside this day to celebrate and recognize the contributions that physicians make to lives and communities:
These other countries all recognize this holiday on different dates, with the exception of Australia. They also celebrate on March 30th, so take this time to thank an Aussie doctor if you know one!
Normally, we would tell you to give your favorite doctor a hug, but in the current climate of social distancing, that would be frowned upon severely!
So instead, let’s celebrate National Doctor’s Day with these 10 activities:
- Send a thank you card to your favorite doctor or facility, showing appreciation for all that they are doing. A handwritten card or note can be treasured for a lifetime.
- Arrange to have a meal, snack, coffee or dessert brought to your favorite office (assuming they’re open).
- Reach out on social media to your favorite doctor’s office or hospital, thanking them for everything they do.
- Donate funds to a hospital or charity.
- Call your local hospital and find out what you can donate. Different hospitals have varying needs, and many accept donations year-round.
- Check with children’s hospitals to find out what toys, games, and other essentials they need. It’s never fun being stuck in a hospital, but with more people being admitted every day, the wish list for items like craft supplies and essentials continues to grow.
- Donate blood. This generous action can assist doctors in saving a life.
- Donate protective gear and medical supplies to hospital workers.
- If you’re crafty, consider making masks to donate. Prada, GAP, and other manufacturers are doing this, too! JoAnn Fabrics is also giving away free mask-making kits to people volunteering to make masks.
- Send your favorite physician a gift. Order online and have it shipped directly to their office. Whether it’s a box of dark chocolates, some ethically sourced soap, or a gift card to their favorite store, we can guarantee that your gift will be appreciated!
How are you celebrating National Doctors’ Day this year? Let us know in the comments.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.