Healthy Green Foods!
In March we think green – typically this time of year when we think green we are talking about leprechauns and four leaf clovers – but this year we want to focus on green foods! Think lettuce, broccoli, avocado, cucumbers, edamame and snap peas!
In this blog we will teach you the health benefits that green foods have to offer, share with you a list of naturally green foods (in-case some have slipped your mind!), and share with you a few delicious ways to add these green foods to your diet!
We all know that if a food is naturally green, it will typically be healthy. But do we know why? Here are some of the reasons greens foods are so good for your body:
- Green foods have powerful antioxidant qualities. This means that they protect the body from toxins in our environment and other foods we eat.
- Green foods are also rich in chlorophyll, a green pigment that also acts as a detox agent in the body. The darker the shade of green the more chlorophyll is in something.
- Greens are rich in minerals and essential nutrients such as: calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B, C, E and K! These are all vital to your body’s health.
- Dark, leafy greens are high in omega-3 fatty acids. These help lower cholesterol and are vital for all body functions.
- Vegetables help alkalize your body and keep your PH at a healthy level!
The list of naturally green foods is actually more extensive than you may think. Here is list of our favorite green foods:
- Green tea
- Green beans
- Green olives
- Collard greens
- Brussels sprouts
- Green bell pepper
Here are some delicious ways to add these green foods to your diet:
- This healthy no bake key lime cheesecake recipe includes a great source of protein, Greek yogurt!
- Skip the ice cream tonight – try this healthy kiwi sorbet
- Avocado is a nutrient dense power player when it comes to green foods, loaded with healthy fats and nutrients! Here are 49 delicious and healthy avocado recipes.
- Simple sautéed spinach makes a great side for any dinner or lunch.
- Okra is not as mainstream as it should be! Try this recipe featuring okra and tomatoes.
- Cucumbers are fresh and perfect for this time of year – try this simple healthy cucumber salad.
- Brussels sprouts are amazing served savory or sweet! Try this honey balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts
Give these recipes a try! Make it your goal to add at least one green food to your plate every day for the remainder of March – or the remainder of the year!Share this blog with your friends and family so they can add more green to their diet too!