How to Celebrate National Bike Month!
Every year during May we recognize National Bike Month! This holiday is sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists and celebrated in communities from coast-to-coast. Established in 1956 - National Bike Month is a time to remember the many benefits of cycling and encourage more people to try biking! At QOL we love biking – not only is it a fun activity but it is also a great workout!
Since your health is our number one concern here at QOL – we first want to outline the health benefits of cycling:
- Stress management – bicycle riding can be used for reducing stress! Experts say that playing any kind of sport can help with stress reduction – so why not pedal away that stress!
- Pain reduction – cycling has been shown to help with pain management. This is due to its “releasing” effects on the body. Releasing exercise play an important role in relieving physiological and psychological issues like tension, stress, and pain.
- Promote weight loss – cycling is a great way to burn excess calories. A person cycling with a speed of 10 miles per hour burns 260 calories in an hour. Regular working out will help a person maintain a lean body structure.
Here are some ways for you to celebrate National Bike Month:
- Check out your local bike shop – Has your bike accumulated some dust over the winter? Or maybe your wheels need an upgrade? Go to your local bike shop and tell them your goals, experience level and budget – they will be able to help you find the perfect bike that fits your needs! If you are not ready to commit to buying a new bike – you can always rent one! Many bike shops offer bike rental services with various options from one-day rentals – to month long rentals!
- Bike to work for a week – ditch the car and tackle your commute on two wheels. You never know you may enjoy this more than you think!
- Switch things up – if you usually ride a mountain bike, try riding a road bike! There are many different types of bikes that all offer different experiences.
- Participate in a local bike event – there are great bike events happening all around! Do an online search or ask your local bike shop about nearby bike events that you could participate in!
- Discover your local bike paths – bike paths are a scenic and safe place for you to go for a bike ride!
Like any other sport – there are some precautions that should be taken when riding a bicycle. Be sure to always have plenty of water on hand and drink frequently to avoid dehydration. It is also important to stretch before cycling to prevent injuries. Finally – the most important safety measure that should be taken when cycling is remembering to always wear your helmet! Wearing a helmet prevents head injury in case any type of accident takes place. If you are an inexperienced bike rider – you may also want to wear elbow and knee guards for further protection.
It doesn’t matter how you choose to celebrate National Bike Month – just be sure to get out there and start pedaling!