Make Your Lunch Count!
Tomorrow is National Make your Lunch Count Day! With this in-mind…let’s talk lunch. Your lunch meal has more influence on your life than you might realize. This meal is placed smack in the middle of your day, and has the ability to either power you through the second half of the day or drain you physically and mentally. Whether you are a lunch packer or buyer – this blog will help you to make your lunch count!
Ok – before we get into the ‘meat and potatoes’ one thing to remember, choosing the right portion is key! Even if you are making healthy choices – if the portion is too large your efforts for health will be undermined. It’s important to note that when approaching lunch portions, extremes should always be taken out of play. Skipping lunch altogether, or having too small of a portion will leave you physically tired and effect your cognitive function. Having too large of a lunch can make you feel sluggish and unmotivated. Knowing the right portion for your lunch meal is key.
High-fat and high-sugar lunches will give you a burst of energy – but we can almost guarantee you will feel a crash by 3PM which will have you reaching for the candy bar or pack of cookies. Consuming sugar and fat causes our bodies to release feel good neurotransmitters, such as dopamine. This is why you will experience that initial rush of energy, the crash you experience after eating high sugar and fat is caused by your dopamine levels returning to normal. Your body will crave more sugar and fat to release more feel good hormones. Choosing foods with healthy fats and minimal sugar will help keep you away from this vicious cycle. The ideal lunch is loaded with protein, healthy fats and a few carbs coming from high quality, slow digesting sources. Luckily, there are many delicious lunch combos that fit this profile! We have picked out a few of our favorites to share with you
Here are some of our favorite lunch options:
- Believe it or not…PB&J can be extremely healthy! Pair all natural almond or peanut butter and a natural fruit preserve. On the side? Pack a few baby carrots and an apple!
- One serving of Hummus paired with a whole grain pita, one serving of cheese, grapes and cherry tomatoes. Hummus is loaded with calcium, iron, protein, fiber and heart healthy fats.
- Nothing wrong with the classics – pack up some chicken, rice and veggies.
- Roll up turkey in a whole grain wrap and pair it with a Greek yogurt!
- Whip up a salad with kale, barley and feta cheese.
- There are a ton of healthy frozen options available, look for ones with organic ingredients and low sodium. We love the brand Amy’s Kitchen – they offer options for various specialty diets such as vegetarian and gluten free!
We hope this blog will help you make better lunch choices. If you are in need of more inspiration, check out this list of 54 healthy lunch ideas!
Share this blog with your friends and family so they can make their lunch count too.