The Best Uncommon Mushroom Recipes
Mushrooms have many health benefits that can improve your daily life. These unique mushroom recipes put interesting twists on this well-loved ingredient.
- These uncommon mushroom recipes can boost your health.
- Eating unique mushroom recipes supports your immune system.
- Prepare these interesting mushroom dishes to feel better and enjoy delicious food.
Use these recipes to improve your overall health and stimulate your immune system.
Table of Contents:
- Grilled Salmon with Teriyaki Mushroom Sauce
- Breakfast Mushroom Egg Bake
- Lazy Mushroom Tacos
- Eat Mushrooms to Boost Your Health
Grilled Salmon with Teriyaki Mushroom Sauce
This recipe incorporates salmon, a brain-healthy seafood, with mushroom and teriyaki flavors. For lovers of Asian cuisine and seafood, this is the perfect dinner recipe.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 6-ounce salmon filets
- 12 ounces of fresh king oyster (or shiitake) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoon of oil
- 1 stalk of green onion, sliced
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of Japanese sweet rice wine
- 2 tablespoons of sugar, or more to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
You can substitute the king oyster mushrooms with shiitake mushrooms if desired. Shiitake mushrooms may be easier to find at your local grocery store or outdoor market.
This recipe has simple instructions. It is perfect for busy families or on-the-go professionals with limited meal preparation time.
Follow these instructions:
- Whisk the soy sauce, sweet rice wine, and sugar in a small pan
- Simmer on low for three minutes
- Set aside the sauce away from heat to allow it to thicken
- Brush your salmon filets with one tablespoon of your choice of cooking oil
- Season the filets with salt and pepper to taste
- Cook each salmon filet in a pan on high heat for three to four minutes on each side
- Set aside the cooked salmon filets once they are just barely cooked all the way through — this will keep them tender
- After a few minutes, return the filets to the pan to medium heat
- Add ½ tablespoon of cooking oil
- Add in the mushrooms of your choice
- Saute this mixture for two minutes
- Reduce the heat to low and add the teriyaki sauce
- Let everything simmer for one minute
- To serve, add the teriyaki mushrooms to the top of each salmon filet
- Garnish with sliced green onions if you desire
This recipe serves four people. You can multiply the ingredients to make more servings. We recommend enjoying this recipe fresh, but it can be reheated at your convenience.
Breakfast Mushroom Egg Bake
Looking for a healthy breakfast recipe? This mushroom egg bake has you covered.
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- ¾ cup of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme, chopped
- ⅓ cup of minced shallot
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
The minced shallot will come from about two small shallots so that you can add this to your grocery list. Feel free to add more or less salt and black pepper according to your taste preferences.
Follow these instructions to make your mushroom egg bake:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spray four slots in a muffin tin with cooking spray (you can also use four small ramekins)
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add in the shallot and saute until they are soft and semi-see-through — this will take around three minutes
- Add in the mushrooms and salt to taste
- Cook this mixture until the mushrooms have softened and you can smell them — this will take about five minutes
- Stir in the fresh thyme and remove the mixture from the heat
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a bowl
- Place the mushroom mixture into the muffin slots or ramekins, divided evenly
- Top the mushroom mixture with the mozzarella cheese, divided evenly
- Pour the egg mixture over the mushroom mixture and the cheese
- Fill until it reaches just below the lip of the ramekin (or the top of the muffin slots)
- Place everything in the oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes — the tops will be slightly puffed when it is finished cooking
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to three days
This is a good meal to prepare in advance as well. You can freeze the mushroom egg bake in separate containers if you multiply the recipe.
Lazy Mushroom Tacos
Short on time? Spice up your Taco Tuesday by using mushrooms instead of ground beef.
To make lazy mushroom tacos, all you need are your favorite taco toppings, tortillas or hard shells, and fresh mushrooms. You can choose which ingredients to add to your tacos, making this a perfect addition to a buffet-style taco night.
Most people use a variety of vegetables, cheeses, sour cream, and guacamole in their tacos. You can garnish your mushroom tacos with your favorite greens and herbs like green onion, cilantro, or kale.
Prepare your mushrooms in whatever sauces and seasonings you prefer. Mushrooms are incredibly versatile and will take on the flavors of whatever they are being cooked with.
We recommend using a pre-mixed taco seasoning blend or making one yourself.
Common taco seasonings include:
- Red pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Sea salt
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
These ingredients are used in most commercial, pre-packaged taco seasoning mixtures. You can easily make one at home to use for future recipes as well.
Load up your mushroom tacos with your favorite ingredients! You can serve them buffet-style at home or prepare them in advance and refrigerate them.
We recommend serving your seasoned mushrooms hot with your tacos, but they can be enjoyed cold as well. This is a great healthy swap for ground beef while still preserving the delectable flavors and textures of your favorite taco dishes.
Eat Mushrooms to Boost Your Health
Mushrooms have a variety of health benefits, including immune-boosting properties. No matter how you decide to enjoy mushrooms in your diet, your health is sure to benefit from them.