Ways to Stay Healthy and Have Fun for the Winter
Winter is officially here, and we hope yours is magical and bright! Sometimes it can be difficult to know what to do in the winter to not just keep our spirits up, but to stay healthy, too. We have some tips to help with this.
- There are plenty of fun activities to do in the winter even when it’s cold
- Try ice skating for cardio, build a bonfire to stay warm, and go for winter hikes
- Get ideas for activities to do in the snow
Table of Contents:
- Ice skating
- Winter bonfire
- Walking and running
- Play in the snow
- Skiing and snowboarding
When it gets cold outside, we tend to spend a lot of time inside, waiting for spring and warmer weather to reappear. But being cooped up inside your home for months can be a catalyst for developing seasonal depression.
There are still plenty of fun outdoor winter activities that you can do when the temperature drops and the snow is falling!
You may have to bundle up to get ready to brave the outdoors, but we promise it is worth it, and the benefits of getting fresh air and exercise can do wonders for your body and mind. Breathing more fresh air has shown to help you digest food more effectively, improve blood pressure and heart rate, and strengthen your immune system.
So, let’s try these healthy and fun activities to get you back outdoors this winter! Some of these activities require snow, so if there is no fresh snow on the ground, keep the idea handy for the next snow day!
- Ice skating: Search online for your closest ice skating rink. Maybe go as a family or make it a romantic date activity. Ice skating is so fun you won't even realize that you are simultaneously getting in a workout!
- Winter bonfire: Bonfires never have to be limited to the summer months! They are also a great way to get outside during colder months. Bundle up around a cozy fire and roast some s’mores while drinking a hot beverage. Toasty marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate never go out of season. This is a great way to take in some fresh air, still feel warm, and revel in all the cozy winter vibes.
- Walking and running: This is a year-round activity that you can enjoy solo or with your family and friends! You may need to dress warmer, but this is a great way to keep exercising and with the movement you may not even feel the cold anymore. In fact, you can still get a sweat in while temps are low! Maybe even use this as a way to check out the festive decorations in your neighborhood.
- Play in the snow: There are many ways to enjoy the snow. It’s always an exciting and magical time when we get to feel like kids again, and if you have kids to enjoy it with those memories will last a lifetime! Build a snowman, have a snowball fight, go sledding, shovel, or make snow angels.
- Skiing and snowboarding: Take a day or weekend trip to your nearest ski slope! This is a great way to get in winter’s official workout and take a fun-filled trip. If you don't have a ski slope near you, you can always find a path for cross-country skiing, which is another excellent way to work up a sweat and enjoy the natural beauty of winter.
Don't waste your winter waiting for and counting down the days until spring. Enjoy the moment we’re in. Get outside and enjoy everything this time of year has to offer. You may feel the chill at first, but once you acclimate and seize the season, you’ll be feeling great and glad you did!