What Are We Going To Do With All These Apples?!
Ok – so you scavenged the apple orchard and have the giant bags of apples to show for it – but what now? Even an apple a day will leave you with pounds left over!
One way to avoid waste and use up all those apples before they expire is to try out some healthy apple recipes. At QOL, we love finding and sharing healthy recipes – so we would like to share with you some of our favorite healthy apple recipes.
Luckily, apples are extremely nutritious and versatile. They can be incorporated into savory and sweet dishes and used as a component of practically every meal. Apples are also extremely rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, and dietary fiber. The phytonutrients and antioxidants in apples may help reduce the risk of developing many health complications. Also, if you are trying to lose weight apples may be able to aid in weight loss! They are particularly filling due to their high fiber content and have a prebiotic effect that may promote good gut bacteria. Pectin is a type of fiber found in apples that feed the good bacteria in your gut. Finally, apples promote heart health in several ways.
Here are some of our favorite sweet apple recipes:
- This apple crumb coffee cake is low in fat and calories. One slice will only set you back 175 calories – so don’t feel guilty about going for that second slice!
- Excess sugar is the root of many health complications – this apple tart has no sugar added!
- At QOL we love oatmeal – this oatmeal stuffed baked apple recipe is a fun and unconventional way to mix up your oatmeal.
- Protein bars make a great snack – these gluten free apple pie protein bars will not disappoint!
- These sweet and spicy apple chips are a great go to healthy snack.
- You won’t believe that these apple griddle scones have less than 200 calories per serving!
- This time of year we can’t forget about pie. Try this apple pie recipe features coconut water and date paste!
Apples are perfect for savory dishes too:
- For something light – try this apple and beetroot slaw. It is vegan and will make a great side dish to any meal!
- Looking for the perfect fall burger recipe? These hearty butternut squash apple burgers are just what you need.
- Apples on pizza? Sounds crazy…but give it a try with this apple, goat cheese and pecan pizza!
- For those chilly fall nights – try this apple-parsnip soup.
- This quesadilla features apples and another fall favorite – pumpkin!
- Savory tarts are lovely for lunch or dinner – try this savory apple thyme tart. Trust us you won’t be disappointed!
Now go get cooking! Make it your goal to try one or all of these great apple recipes with all those apples you picked. Once you have finished cooking, organize an apple themed bake-off or cook-off with friends, family, or colleagues!
We hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do – share this blog with your friends and family so they can get in on all the apple fun too!