What the Watermelon!
Watermelon has always been a summer staple – but recently we have seen new and different watermelon products popping up on health food store shelves everywhere. This could only mean one thing – watermelon is not only tasty, but must offer health benefits! Since we are your go-to source for all things new and trendy in the health and wellness space, we will take you through the facts behind the watermelon craze and let you know what watermelon products you should be trying!
What makes Watermelon such a healthy choice?
Watermelon contains only 46 calories per cup – but it is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A and many healthy plant compounds! One of these healthy plant compounds is lycopene, which is a phytonutrient that is essential for maintaining good bone health and cardiovascular health. Here are a few of the other health benefits you can get from slicing up a watermelon:
- Reduces inflammation - chronic inflammation is known as a precursor for many serious diseases. The amino acids L-arginine and L-citrulline are two powerful anti-inflammatory agents!
- Protects nerve function – this fruit is rich in potassium, which helps to regulate nerve function by facilitating the passage of electrical impulses and messages.
- Aids in weight loss – if you are trying to lose weight watermelon could help! Since this fruit is mostly water and fiber, this combination will fill you up and leave you satisfied longer!
- Helps with muscle recovery – Listen up athletes! Watermelon contains a restorative amino acid that helps accelerate the rate of lactic acid removal from your muscles.
- Balances your internal pH – the average diet is filled with saturated fats, sugars and processed foods, this can throw off the balance of the body’s pH. Watermelon is an alkaline food, which helps to neutralize the acidic components in our diet.
- Protects against diabetes – another benefit of the amino acids in watermelon is that it protects against the development of diabetes.
Now that you know what watermelon can do for your body – lets go through some tasty and fun ways you can add more watermelon to your diet!
- Watermelon water – this watermelon water is a pressed juice with just two ingredients: watermelon and lemon! One bottle contains 2x the amount of potassium of a banana!
- Sprouted watermelon seeds – a one ounce serving of sprouted watermelon seeds offers 8 grams of protein! Try sprinkling these on top of a Greek yogurt or mix them into a salad!
- Watermelon seed butter – who knew you could make a spread out of watermelon seeds! This watermelon seed butter is organic and a great source of magnesium. Try whipping up a watermelon seed and jelly sandwich for lunch today!
- Watermelon seed bars – this bar contains 12 grams of protein and is organic, vegan, gluten free and paleo! Swap out those sugary granola bars with this healthy choice – your body will thank you!
- Watermelon beer – although this is not the healthiest choice when it comes to watermelon products, but if you are looking for a watermelon treat for special occasions this one could be for you! Various small and independent breweries are offering beers brewed with 100% real watermelons. Check out this list of 10 must-try watermelon beers.
The most extreme case of “watermelon fever” that we have seen was caught by a New York City based restaurant. They have added a ‘watermelon steak’ to their menu that looks like real meat. Want to try something similar? Here is a grilled watermelon recipe you can make at home! We hope that this blog has inspired you to add some more watermelon to your diet! Share this blog with your friends and family so they can start getting the health benefits of watermelon as well!